Sunday, October 2, 2016

DIY Nightstands & Headboard (Cheap Nightstands Reviews)

HDBlogSquad // DIY Nightstands & Headboard


Confession: I'm obsessed with the new bedroom my guest. It's an obsession. I still catch myself going through, peeping in, and giggle like a little school girl excited. Like, pinch me, this room is my house!

The process of planning for this room is a long time coming. I was hungry for the white room on forever, but never considered myself "bold" enough to pull it off in my own home. When I came to the conclusion that this room was white, everything else falls into place. Warm, rustic wood, dark brown and black, and yellow accents will help create a warmth in a room that could easily be cold if not all white.

I was kind to imagine something and try to stick true to that vision as much as possible. Because of this, my search for the nightstands and headboard is a long and difficult. I watched a Hack Rast, but since this is a guest bedroom is to be used a few times a year, a piece of storage is not necessary. And then I came across a beautiful headboard at Target. That is exactly what I need ... hope it is the wrong color. I will not sacrifice everything that I had envisioned for a yellow bed.


But I still can not get out of bed early to my mind. And then it dawned on me, just build one! X-shaped legs will be easy enough to reproduce, and from a drawer is not required, an open concept will look like a good box! A simple plank bed head (colored in dark walnut with) will complement the headboard perfectly. Ultimately it is all coming together

"J" and I outlined our ideas, implement the necessary measurements, and are on their way to The Home Depot. They had everything we needed for the project both headboard and nightstands.

"J" and I spent 3 weeks working on these projects. Not because they are too complicated, we just need to fit them into your busy schedule us. I spent a good 4 hours in my garage freeeezing dyed wood headboard and bedside (and I swear I'll never do it again!). Lighting was installed on an evening after work. The room is painted on a lazy Saturday afternoon. The bed was assembled after a busy day of running errands. And to be 100% honest, the headboard was installed just one day before disclosing all my life. But this is the reality of a DIY project; it may be simple, but it does take time to do it right.

Design and construction of things is always something I've enjoyed. Whether it's something big like a cedar bench or raised garden beds, or something small and simple, I find the process quite excited. I mean, to see the sketches brought to life in your hands (plus hands of your spouse!) Is something to be very proud.

General Supplies
  • Gorilla Glue
  • Paint Brushes
  • Rags
  • 1 package Norton MultiSand 9 inch x11 inch Sanding Sheets Extra Fine - 320 grit

The Build: Nightstands

Design and construction of things is always something I've enjoyed. Whether it's something big like a cedar bench or raised garden beds, or something small and simple, I find the process quite excited. I mean, to see the sketches brought to life in your hands (plus hands of your spouse!) Is something to be very proud.

When broken down into steps, the headboard is actually quite simple to make.

Material
  • #1 3/4x16x36 Pine (for the box)
  • 1x3x6 Select Pine (for the legs)
  • 1/2x2x3 Poplar (for trim)
  • Brass Corner Braces 1 1/2 inch
  • 16 Wood Screws 1 1/2 inch
  • Rustoleum Universal Hammered Dark Bronze 
  • 1 Qt Premium Plus Ultra Interior Flat Enamel Paint & Primer in One inAntique White
  • Minwax Wood Finish in Dark Walnut

Step 1 // Cut & Prep the Wood

ALL cut wood for your project is absolutely the right place to start. That way you only pull out your heavy stuff and make a mess once. Once everything is cut, sanding wood to ensure you are ready to work quickly with the stains and paints.

Step 2 // Stain & Paint

Make sure you keep all the pieces of wood that needs to be stained and painted separately. Depending on the color of your stain, you may need (or want) to do two layers. Allow plenty of time in between dye / paint for your piece to dry before assembly. I also use this time to spray paint the frame with a hammer L Rustoleum spray paint finish of.



Step 3 // Assemble

When working with wood I want to make sure that everything is nice and safe when it is put together. I usually use a wood glue (like Gorilla glue) and wood screws. The important thing to note is that I screwed the box headboard together with 1 1/2 inch wood screws before installing the "rustic" L-shaped brackets forging x-shaped Legs are assembled before I tied them the box. Braces, that comes between the previous set of X and the back set of X, adding stability to the whole piece. To complete the look, add decorations to be added to the bottom of the box, and secured with wood glue and nails.



Step 4 // Install

When we put on the nightstand in the bedroom of the hotel, we quickly realized that they were a top-heavy accents large lamps and accessories in place. To prevent the headboard from tipping over we used two L-shaped brackets to secure the headboard to the wall. Worked like a charm!

The Build: Headboard 


Material
  • 4 1x8x6 Knotty Pine Boards
  • SPF 1x8x2 Framing Lumber
  • 24 Wall Anchors
  • 24 Wood Screws (1 1/2inch)
  • 24 Alexandria Moulding Hardwood Mushroom Plugs 3/8 inch
  • Minwax Wood Finish in Dark Walnut

    The headboard is easier projects in the makeup of this guest bedroom. It may be simple, but it certainly packs a punch visually. Similar to the process bedside important to do all the preparation of the first timber. Depending on the width of your bed, you may need to cut the board down from 6ft to 5ft (as I did). Sanding everything to make sure the wood will take the stain evenly, and remove any sharp corners. Three pads each table is attached to the back of each board using wood glue and nails. Eight holes were drilled at each table to attach them to the wall. If you can not beat a study, it is best to use the wall anchors to ensure it is preserved. Wood plugs fill the screw holes, and provide a clean board, a look.

    Project Breakdown

    For those of you who are interested in the breakdown of the materials for this project, you can find everything listed below. I choose to buy everything new, so the total cost may vary based on what you already have on hand. Go to the table than cedar is a smart choice because it significantly reduces our costs. 

    Lighting
    • Carlina Light ORB Table Lamp
    • Hampton Bay Oil Rubbed Bronze Metal Overlay Drum Pendant

    No comments: